Back in February we went down to Fort Craig, about an hour and a half south. We went with our friends, Brian and Dantzel, and had a plan to go on a drive afterward.
History lesson: Fort Craig is a civil war fort for the Union army. There was a battle not too far from the fort in which the Confederates came and beat the North and when they demanded possession of the fort, the Union army said no. So the South laid siege on it, but then they ran out of supplies before everyone inside the fort so that didn't work too well and they left. The fort was still in use by the Union army for a few more years after that before it was abandoned.
 |
| Scott and I in front of part of the fort...I don't know what part, but it was one of the only buildings still free standing. |
 |
| Brian and Dantzel |
 |
| They used these for storage, they had to have somewhere to keep all that food that sustained them during the siege! |
 |
| Family pic, we take advantage of having other people with us :) |
 |
| The collapsed army fort wall |
After a picnic in the parking lot, we headed on our way to find what we could find in the mountains nearby:
 |
| We planned on driving to a particular area to scout out for other possible adventures. We really liked this street sign, made us feel like we were in the old west or something :) |
 |
| Scott was a little grumpy at times, but would calm right down if he held my hand. It wasn't super comfortable for me though... |
 |
| It was beautiful country |
We hit a dead end on this drive and decided to part ways with Brian and Dantzel, we headed into another mountain range, and they headed home. This part of our drive was a lot more desert-y.
 |
| Notice the yucca on the side of the road |
 |
| We're starting our boy young on his radio use. He was really cute, holding and talking into the radio. |
 |
| I wish I could have gotten a video of Stan singing and dancing to our music with his hat to the side like this. I sure have a funny husband. |
 |
| This part of the road was funny because it zit-zagged back and forth a little when they could have just as easily made it a straight road... |
 |
| I drove some too |
I guess the beauty of the desert is an acquired taste, but I sure think New Mexico is beautiful!
 |
| Scott was happy that we were on our way home and he was eating :) He loves these pouches that he gets on outings. He wishes I would let him eat it a little more independently than I do but that usually leads to a mess :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment