Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Sandwich and Smarties

Who knew that three years after an event, my choice to do the right thing would pay off like it did today. Certainly I did not. But it did. Today was rather a crazy day, I didn't feel excellent this morning, so I sat on my bed and did chats from home instead of going into work. I started at ten, chatted until one, but then I had a project to do, so I stayed in the same spot for another two and a half hours. So after being stationary upon my bed, cuddled against the wall like I normally do for five and a half hours, I headed up to campus to print my paper and copy something that I needed to turn in with it. I decided today a new pet peeve I have. I went through the library looking for a computer that I could use for a mere three minutes. Alas, there were none. And yet I saw person after person wasting time, one person was basically asleep listening to music on the computer that I could be using to print my paper on. A few were playing random dumb internet games. Or scanning good ol' facebook. It was dumb. So after a half hour of looking for a computer, I found one. So I printed it. Then I walked over to use the copier, and it was dumb too. This was when my pay back happened. I was headed north in the library toward the no-shhh zone looking for anotehr copier when someone came running up behind me yelling(in an appropriate library sort of way) "hey!". I turned around to find a guy and a girl both holding a plastic grocery bag. Our conversation went something like this: Girl: (with the words coming ou between breaths, they had run to catch up to me...that or she was really out of shape, but I don't think that was the case...) "hey did you used to work at the MTC???" Me: "Um...yes, well I still do, but yes..." Girl: "Yeah! You used to swipe my card!" Me: "Uh, yeah yeah that was me, I would have done that."(all the while the guy is standing smiling on, and I'm thinking "why on earth does this girl remember me like this") Girl: "Yeah! My companion and I used to always forget our cards and you would make us go back to get them. At the end of our stay at the MTC we took a picture with you! What's your name?" "Melanie...Melanie Merrill" "okay! Great, now I can put it in my scrapbook with your picture"....("I'm in your scrapbook?!?")I chatted with them some more, but they were handing out pb&j's to people and smarties and wishing them luck on their finals. While many were getting them, I surely wouldn't have ever seen the two if it hadn't been for me sticking to those rules at the MTC many years ago so that this girl would remember me and come running after me...how odd...so I went to find another copier, it was broken. So I found another one. It had a line. The girls at the front of the line surely didn't know what they were doing. They took ages. Then the next guy was kind of confused too, so I helped him, sort of :). And then I made my copies. Then the staplers were all broken...Needless to say, I got my final turned in just fine. Quite a crazy experience though there in that library. You can never know what'll happen in the HBLL....

2 comments:

TPlayer said...

I agree..Apparently we had no idea the impact we had on people as "card swipers"...who knew?! I'm glad you're part of the blog world

Merilee said...

Hmm. I was never a card swiper, but always wanted to be. Happy Christmas Melanie!